Vietnam is quickly becoming one of the most popular family travel destinations in Southeast Asia. With its stunning natural landscapes, fascinating culture and cuisine, and general affordability, Vietnam offers an amazing opportunity for families to bond while exploring this vibrant country. Here is a closer look at why Vietnam is a great place for a family holiday and the best destinations to include on your itinerary.
Why is Vietnam a great family holiday destination?
There are several key factors that make Vietnam an excellent choice for traveling with children:
Safety and Security
Vietnam is generally very safe for families to visit. Violent crime is rare, particularly in the main tourist centers, and the country has stable governance. As long as you take normal safety precautions, Vietnam offers very secure family travel conditions.
The cost of traveling in Vietnam is highly affordable compared to many other international destinations. Accommodation, nourriture, transportation and activities cater well to family budgets.
Healthy and Hygienic
Vietnam’s tropical climate means diseases are rare and health care is good and accessible in urban centers. Hygiene standards at hotels and restaurants are high.
Range of Activities
From exploring colonial quarters to zip-lining through mountain forests, Vietnam offers endless options for family fun. There are activities to excite every age and interest.
Fascinating Culture and Cuisine
Vietnam’s unique culture and mouthwatering cuisine add color and vibrance to any family visit. Kids and parents alike will enjoy sampling pho noodle soup or banh mi sandwiches. Vietnamese culture is warm and welcoming to foreigners.
Is Vietnam suitable for kids?
Absolutely! Vietnam is very accommodating for family travel with children of all ages. Here’s why Vietnam is suitable for kids:
- Most hotels allow children to stay for free or a minimal extra fee. Family rooms are easily available.
- Health care facilities in major cities are excellent. Hospitals have modern equipment and English-speaking doctors. Pharmacies are abundant.
- Vietnamese cuisine is fresh and easy to enjoy for kids. Noodle soups, spring rolls and tropical fruits appeal to young taste buds.
- Private tour guides can be hired to help maneuver children around cities, temples and outdoor areas in a kid-friendly way.
- Many activities like boat cruises, water parks, amusement parks and interactive museums cater well to children’s preferences.
- Vietnamese people love children and are very welcoming to kids. Children often get special attention and gifts.
- Vietnam’s warm climate means kids can comfortably enjoy outdoor time year-round.
With proper precautions, Vietnam’s engaging culture, tasty food and range of family-oriented activities make it an exceptional choice for family holidays.
7 best places for a family holiday in Vietnam
- Visit Ho Chi Minh’s mausoleum and the Temple of Literature
- Enjoy a cyclo tour of the Old Quarter’s 36 rues
- Eat street food favorites like pho and banh mi
- Watch a water puppet show
- Take a day trip to Halong Bay or nearby villages
- Cruise the emerald waters dotted with limestone islands
- Kayak into spectacular grottos and lagoons
- Do family-friendly activities like swimming and squid fishing
- Spend a night on a traditional junk boat
- Take the train up to Sapa’s misty mountain setting
- Hike through rice terraces and stay in hill tribe homestays
- Visit vibrant local markets with handmade crafts
- Ride the epic Fansipan cable car for stunning views
- Gaze at colorful lanterns glowing by night
- Make custom tailor-made clothing
- Take a cooking class and learn to make Vietnamese dishes
- Cycle through rice paddies and relax on An Bang Beach
Phu Quoc Island
- Lounge on long sandy beaches with warm turquoise waters
- Snorkel or dive in coral reefs teeming with marine life
- Visit a pearl farm or fish sauce factory
- Hike through Phu Quoc’s rainforests
- Frolic on the expansive beaches along the South China Sea
- Ride the Ba Son cable car high above the coastal city
- Visit Buddhist temples etched into the mountainsides
- Enjoy fresh and affordable seafood
- Tour scenic valleys and waterfalls around Vietnam’s hill station
- Ride the luge rollercoaster at Datanla Falls
- Go canyoning and abseiling through forested gorges
- Relax in the cool climate with strawberry tea and local produce
Each of these destinations has amazing sights, activities, cuisine and culture for families to experience together. With great weather year-round, Vietnam offers endless opportunities for family bonding and fun.
Tips for travelling with kids in Vietnam
To ensure the ultimate Vietnam family holiday, here are some helpful tips:
1. Plan ahead: Research the best destinations, attractions, and activities suitable for kids in Vietnam. Look for family-friendly hotels and accommodations that offer amenities like children’s pool or kids’ clubs.
2. Pack smart: Make sure to carry essential items like sunscreen, mosquito repellent, hats, and comfortable clothing for your kids. Aussi, pack some snacks and entertainment such as books, toys, or electronic devices for long journeys.
3. Take it slow: Vietnam can be a culture shock for kids, so take your time and allow them to adjust to the new environment. Avoid overpacking your itinerary, and give them plenty of breaks and downtime.
4. Prepare for the weather: Vietnam has a tropical climate, so make sure to dress your kids appropriately. Keep them hydrated, especially during hot and humid days.
5. Be cautious with food and water: Stick to bottled water and ensure your kids avoid tap water. Aussi, be mindful of street food and opt for reputable restaurants to minimize the risk of foodborne illnesses.
6. Take safety precautions: Keep your kids close to you in crowded places and be cautious of traffic, which can be chaotic in some cities. Consider using child harnesses or carriers for young children.
7. Engage in educational experiences: Visit cultural museums, historical sites, and even workshops or cooking classes that are suitable for kids. This will enhance their understanding of the Vietnamese culture and provide fun and educational activities.
8. Use local transportation wisely: Vietnam has various transportation options, including buses, trains, and boats. Cependant, be cautious with long journeys and opt for more comfortable options like flights or private cars if needed.
9. Embrace the local culture: Encourage your kids to learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases and engage with the locals. This will create a more immersive and enjoyable experience for them.
10. Stay flexible and open-minded: Travelling with kids can be unpredictable, so be prepared for any changes or challenges that may arise. Stay flexible with your plans and adapt to their needs and interests.
With some preparation for kids’ needs, Vietnam can make an absolutely magical destination for family holidays. The warmth of Vietnamese culture, wealth of activities and comforts of modern tourism infrastructure allow families to easily enjoy this beautiful country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the food safe for children to eat?
Yes, Vietnamese cuisine is generally very fresh and hygienic. Avoid raw foods and be selective when eating street food. Kids tend to enjoy pho noodle soup, spring rolls and tropical fruits.
Can we get baby supplies there?
Yes, main cities have stores selling international brand diapers, wipes, formula and baby food. Some supplies are also widely available at minimarts. Hotels provide sterilized water, baby cots and more.
Will kids get bored?
Absolutely not! Vietnam offers amazing interactive activities from water parks to cooking classes that appeal to all ages. There are playgrounds, zip lines, water sports and endless sights to captivate children.
Is Vietnam’s climate hot for kids?
Vietnam can be quite hot in the south but the climate is tempered by sea breezes. Dalat’s cooler highland climate offers respite. Hats, umbrellas, water and regular breaks will keep kids comfortable. The dry winter months are ideal for travel.
Can we get around on our own?
Assurément, but hiring a private car and guide takes the headache out of logistics and language barriers. Taxis are very affordable if you just need quick transfers. Organized tour groups for families are also an excellent option.
Are there health risks?
Vietnam is very safe if you take proper precautions with water, hygiene, etc. Ensure your children’s routine immunizations are up to date. The main risks are dehydration and stomach bugs which are easily managed. Vietnam has excellent medical care in cities.
With smart preparation, there is very little risk to children’s health and safety in Vietnam. The rewards of discovering this culturally rich, family-friendly country far outweigh any concerns.
From lively cities to tropical beaches, Vietnam offers endless possibilities for an unforgettable family holiday. Temples, markets, food tours, jungle treks and more promise engaging activities for all ages. Vietnam’s safety, affordability, culture and cuisine create ideal conditions for family travel. With appropriate precautions, Vietnam is highly suitable for kids and has many destinations catering to families. The Vietnamese people adore children, so families can expect very welcoming experiences. Exploring Vietnam together will give children exposure to a fascinating Asian culture while creating wonderful shared memories.